- Ask direct questions, don't be afraid to ask dirctly if they want to kill or hurt themselves.
- Listen to the person.
- Get professional help; even if the person resists.
- Take it seriously.
- Stay calm and safe.
- Remove means (dangerous objects of self-injury) from household; pills, firearms, knives, etc.
What don't I do?
- Swear to secrecy
- Leave the person alone
- Act shocked or judgmental
- Counsel the person yourself
- Ignore threats or warning signs
What do I say?
"I hear you..."
"I love you."
"You're not alone..."
"Would you like me to get you help?"
"Are you feeling like hurting yourself?"
"Do you feel suicidal?"
"Do you have a plan?"
What shouldn't I say?
"It's not that bad..."
"You'll snap out it..."
"Stop being so selfish/whiney."
"You're just trying to get attention."
"You have to pull yourself up by your boot-straps."